Saturday, July 9, 2011

Bloggity Summer Camp: Mama Always Said...

Good Evening Humble Readers...

After a very blustery start to the day, it's turning into a pretty nice evening.  Ginny has just been tucked in (and she only squawked twice), and my Beloved is watching the Chuck Wagon races (on tv) from the Calgary Stampede, and I have some time to turn to my blog. 

Today was a big shopping day, with both Cost.co and Wa.lmart on the itinerary.  I really try to limit my Cos.tco trips to once every 6 or 7 weeks.  That place is just one temptation after another.  I am so thankful that my Mom taught me to always plan ahead before grocery shopping and always shop with a list. 

Which leads me to today's question from our wonderful camp director, Calliope of Creating Motherhood. (Nice segue, eh?)

What is the most important lesson you learned from your own mother (or other primary caretaker)? What do you imagine the name of your Grandmother’s blog would be and what would she write about?

Without going into the whole long sordid story again, suffice it to say, I technically have two moms (for a bit of info, check out the "Cast of Characters" tab up there).  There is the woman who birthed me, who had custody of me through most of my growing up years, and then there is the Mom of my heart, who opened her home to me when I was 17. 

Both of them taught me things, important things.  Both taught by example.  From one, I learned what I should do, and from the other I learned what not to do.  And I am thankful for the lessons, even if they weren't always easy to learn.
  • My Mom taught me that faith and perseverance go hand in hand.
  • My bio-mom taught me that a parent cannot be her child's friend.  It just doesn't work.  
  • My Mom taught me that, in pretty much all things, quality beats quantity any day of the week.
  • My bio-mom taught me that having the love of one good man is worth more than any amount of physical satisfaction.
  • My Mom taught me that if I don't respect myself, then no one else will.
  • My bio-mom taught me that to be an adult means meeting your obligations and keeping promises.
  • My Mom taught me that forgiveness heals both the sinner and the one sinned against. 
  • My bio-mom taught me that forgiveness does not erase consequences. 
So many important lessons.

As for Grandma's blog?  Well, I'm pretty sure it would be called "Because I Said So... That's Why" and it would be about what it was like to grow up as the oldest of 21 brothers and sisters.  :)  She has some incredibly funny and wild stories!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Hobbits are social creatures, and love hearing from friends old and new. Pull up a comfy chair and let's get to know one another.