Friday, July 1, 2011

Foodie Fridays: Premier Edition

Hey Humble Readers...

In an effort to improve my bloggity track record, I have decided to have a couple of weekly features here in the hobbit hole.  So, going forward, Friday will henceforth be known as Foodie Friday.  (I know it's not very original, but if you can come up with another name for it, please be my guest!)

Today I'm sharing my new favourite salad.  Like everyone, I often get into a rut with my meal planning and tossed salads are a go-to for me for pretty much the entire spring and summer.  But I get sooo sick of them after a while that I need to get creative. 
(Not my best photography ever.  Sorry)

Rainbow Black Bean Salad

1 lg can black beans, drained & rinsed
1 large tomato, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1 1/2 cup frozen kernel corn
2/3 oil (olive or canola work well)
2 limes, zested and juiced
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp cumin

Optional:
1 avacado, diced
1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped

In a large bowl wisk together oil, lime zest and juice, chili powder and cumin.  Add in beans, tomato, green pepper, corn, and cilantro (if using), and stir gently ensuring to evenly coat all veggies with the dressing.  Refrigerate for 20 minutes to overnight.  If using avacado, add just before serving.  This salad stands up well in the fridge for up to two days (without the avacado).  Another option is to mash or puree the avacado and incorporate it into the dressing, although that makes the salad's appearance a little muddy. 

This salad is great if you're going to be outdoors or taking it to an event as it doesn't have a mayo or cream based dressing.  It's also really great for breakfast the next morning.

If you try it, please let me know what you think!

*****
So ya, Wednesday's post didn't materialize like I planned, but I have a great excuse... Ginny and I ended up spending the whole day out and about (so rarely happens).  We went to the library for a couple of hours, and spent some time in the park downtown before heading to Beloved's office.  The wee girl had a doctor appointment and we had to go to the public health clinic to get her 6 month shots. 

As I suspected, her weight has completely leveled out, but she is still growing like a stink weed... 2 inches in two and a half months.  She did really great with the needle too, just a little whimper and that was it.  Less than five minutes later she was her smiley happy self trying to wrap her fingers in my hair.

*****
Happy Canada Day!!!! :)

2 comments :

  1. The salad looks fabulous! Makes me want to want to eat it! :) I will definitely try it. Happy Canada Day to you too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phew! Glad the shots went by rather uneventfully. I'm always on edge when it's shot time!

    Thank you for sharing recipes. I can't wait to try this salad.

    ReplyDelete

Hobbits are social creatures, and love hearing from friends old and new. Pull up a comfy chair and let's get to know one another.