Monday, August 22, 2011

Words of Wisdom

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." 
- Jack Layton, NDP Leader
1950-2011

Hey Humble Readers...

Today is a sad day for those of us north of the 49th parallel.  Early this morning the Honourable Jack Layton, leader of the federal New Democrat Party and Leader of the Official Opposition, lost his battle with cancer. 

He was diagnosed with prostate cancer early last year and came through treatment well.  This past spring, when we had a federal election, he hit the campaign trail strong, even though he was recovering from hip surgery.  He led his party to a landmark victory, doubling the NDP seats in the House of Commons and becoming the second most popular party in the country... something that had never been done by the NDP before.  It was truly remarkable.

Less than one month ago, on July 25th, he held a press conference and, looking very gaunt and with a very hoarse voice, Mr. Layton announced that he was going to be taking the rest of the summer off to go through treatment for 'a new cancer' and that he was asking for his party to appoint an interim leader.  He said that he planned to be back by the time that the House of Commons reconvenes on September 19th. 

While I didn't agree with his politics on the whole, I appreciate what he brought to the table.  Any government is only as good as the opposition that keeps them honest, and Jack Layton was great at asking the hard questions. 

Apparently, a few days ago, he wrote a farewell letter, to his party, to his country.  It's a beautiful letter, and as I was reading it aloud to my Beloved, I just lost it.  I was bawling.  I hope that we can all take his final words to us to heart.

This incredibly charismatic, infectiously happy, genuine and wise man left this world a better place for his having been here. 

Rest in peace, Mr. Layton.  Your legacy will not be forgotten.

4 comments :

  1. His letter was beautiful and I truly believe we have lost a great Canadian politician. May he rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the letter on another blog yesterday and it was incredible. A truly wonderful man has been lost.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard of his death....twitter, FB and news was filled with it.

    I agree with you that for the governance to be good the ruling party and the opposition must be equally competent. So true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I live in his wife's riding, while I have never met Jack, I have met her several times.

    He will be missed and Canadian politics will not be the same without him.

    I wanted to go to City Hall today to pay my respects, but I want able to make it.

    Happy ICLW
    #75

    ReplyDelete

Hobbits are social creatures, and love hearing from friends old and new. Pull up a comfy chair and let's get to know one another.