Friday, April 13, 2012

Foodie Friday: Bang Bang Chicken

Hey Humble Readers...

How are things in your part of the world?  Any big plans for the weekend?  Tomorrow is our 5th wedding anniversary, and I'm excited about what my Beloved has planned.  I had to get him to tell me what the surprise was because I needed to know how to dress for the evening.  I'll tell you all about it on Sunday. 

But in the mean time, here's this week's recipe fun. 

I found this recipe, where else?  On Pinterest...  I had seen it on a couple of tv cooking shows and had been hesitant to try it, but I wanted to add a new dish to my 'asian-ish' repertoire, so I gave it a shot.  The first time, I confess, I messed up the sauce (read tsp as tbsp... big difference, especially when dealing with sriracha).  But the second time my Beloved and I really enjoyed it.  It's a little bit labour intensive, but well worth it.  This recipe is adapted from Table For Two
Bang Bang Chicken
(serves 2 as a main course or a few people as an appetizer)

2 chicken breasts or 4 chicken thighs, boneless & skinless, cubed
3/4 cup bread crumbs (panko or regular... whatever you've got will work)
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp dried basil
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup mayo
3-5 tsp Sriracha (depending on how spicy you want it... start at three and work up)
1 tsp sugar (I used Spl.enda successfully)
1 tsp rice vinegar
Vegetable Oil (for frying)

Set up a breading station, with flour in one dish, bread crumbs in one dish, and the egg and milk in another. Add salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder, and basil to the breadcrumbs and mix to combine.  Bread chicken cubes by first dredging in flour, then in egg/milk mixture, then in breadcrumbs.   For best results, allow the chicken to rest in the fridge for about 20 minutes after breading. 

In a bowl, combine mayo, Sriracha, sugar, and rice vinegar.  Adjust to taste. 

Heat a small amount of oil in a skillet (just enough to cover the bottom of the pan).  When oil is hot, slowly and carefully begin to add the chicken to the pan.  Don't overcrowd the pan.  Flip chicken as it browns to golden (it should only take a minute or two per side).  Remove chicken to a paper towel lined plate to drain, and fry remaining chicken. 

Transfer chicken to a large bowl (think mixing bowl).  Pour sauce over chicken and toss gently to coat. 

I served it with homemade chicken fried rice (which is Ginny's new favourite food) and steamed veggies.  Yum!  Oh, and you can also make this recipe with shrimp if you like. 

I'm off to go dust the living room, and try desparately to come up with my L character for my A - z Challenge post. 

3 comments :

  1. Looks delicious! My husband does most of the cooking now, ( I do most of the baby stuff). I'll have to pass this on to him!

    ReplyDelete

Hobbits are social creatures, and love hearing from friends old and new. Pull up a comfy chair and let's get to know one another.