Friday, April 6, 2012

Foodie Fridays: Spring!

Howdy Humble Readers...

Despite the crazy-making snow that we got yesterday, spring has indeed sprung... even here on the frozen flatland. 

We spent the majority of today tackling the first part of our spring cleaning... the nursery, the bathroom, and the storage room.  I had grand plans to also get the kitchen done today, but a blood sugar low got in the way.  Tomorrow is going to be a long day, but I'm happy with what we accomplished today.  Cleaning isn't normally how I like to spend Good Friday, but it was necessary.  This is our only long weekend between now and when the Halfling arrives. 

(And speaking of the Halfling... funny coincidence.  Today I am 33w3d pregnant.  And as of today we have 33 days until the Halfling arrives.  Things like that make me smile.  Yes... I know I'm a geek.)

Soooooo... because spring has sprung, I was in the mood for some spring-like food the other day, but it was still a little brisk outside, so it needed to have good warming preperties too. 

Enter Spring Chicken Stew

1 Rotisserie Chicken, shredded (skin & bones removed)
1 med Onion, diced
3 Leeks, white & light green parts only, chopped
3-5 Cloves of Garlic, minced
1-2 Carrots, diced
3 Ribs of Celery, chopped
3 tsp Dried Thyme
3 tsp Dried Basil
2 tbsp Olive Oil
1 tbsp Butter
3 tbsp Flour
5 cups Chicken Stock, heated until warm
1 cup Frozen Peas
Salt & Pepper to taste

In a large pot (like a stock pot or a dutch oven), heat oil and melt butter, over medium-high heat.  Add onion, celery and carrot and saute until just softened.  Add leeks, garlic and dried herbs.  Saute until leeks are softened.  Sprinkle flour over veggies, and allow to cook out stirring frequently, so that your stew doesn't taste pasty or have lumps.  Slowly add chicken stock, continuing to stir constantly, allowing sauce to thicken.  Add in shredded chicken, season with salt & pepper, lower heat, and allow to gently simmer for up to two hours.  Ten minutes before serving, add in frozen peas. 

Serve with fresh baked biscuits.

This was super yummy, and I was thinking that I should have added in asparagus or green beans... if only I had them.  It was a nice transitional meal, from winter heading into the warmer months. 

As always, if you try it, please let me know what you think. 

(A to z challenge post to come in a couple of hours.  I promise.)

2 comments :

  1. This looks so good! (and not too hard). I think I need to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! That looks so good. I'll have to give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete

Hobbits are social creatures, and love hearing from friends old and new. Pull up a comfy chair and let's get to know one another.