Sunday, May 6, 2012

Hobbit-ish Potpurri: A Whole Lot of Weekend

Howdy Humble Readers...

Well... another weekend come and gone.  It was busy, but productive.  I was able to cap off the weekend with making a family secret recipe (as in... no, it will NEVER be featured on Foodie Fridays).  Ribs with homemade bbq sauce.  I only make them once or twice a year, partly because it's a fair bit of work, and partly because I don't want it to become commonplace.  I did, however, think ahead and made a double batch of the bbq sauce, so I've got some to use on chicken  or pork chops later in the season.  Ginny had her first taste of ribs and sauce, and she lurved it!

*****
I think we're as ready as we're going to be.  I've packed my hospital bag and the small diaper bag.  The nursery is as close to done as we can get for right now.  It's crowded, but such is life.  I keep reminding myself that people raise children in smaller places.  I refer you to this post, from a year and a half ago, for a tour of what the nursery originally looked like. 

This is what it looks like now. 
From the doorway... change table, bookshelves, and Ginny's crib
From by the closet, Ginny's crib & the Halfling's Crib
Ginny's dresser has been moved into the closet, and the change table has been moved to where the dresser used to be.  As of tonight, Ginny sleeps under the window (please let her ignore the curtains, please let her ignore the curtains!).  The new crib came with a little dresser that will do for now to hold the Halfling's clothes. 

And speaking of clothes, this wee one had better like pink... we don't have anywhere near as much gender neutral newborn stuff as I thought we did.  I'm sure we'll make do, but I was surprised.  On the up side, when I was going through the box of newborn stuff, I found one of my nursing bras.  Yay!  I thought maybe I had thrown it in a donation bag by mistake. 

Oh, and we found out that we will get to use the family cradle again.  I had thought that it had gone back to BC this past summer, but my MIL has it and is bringing it with her next week. 

*****
This is the blanket that I knitted for Halfling 2.0.

It's the same as the one I made for Ginny, just different colours.  Basically a really big knitted washcloth.  I'm not an experienced knitter by any stretch.  But I'm glad to have something that I made for this little person. 

The pics don't represent the colours well... it's really a funky combo of purple, gold, green, blue, and pink.  Sounds awful, but it works!

*****
We have our new couch.  It's so strange sitting on a sofa that actually has some support in it.  Sadly, the couch is a little too big, so for the moment we are having to live without one of our side tables.  I have a plan for how to fix things, but it involves moving two of our bookcases which are currently bolted to the wall.  That plan will have to wait until late June or early July before it gets put in place. 

*****
Ginny's teething is still going strong.  Her gums are so sore, poor girl.  And I don't know if it's a teething thing or if she's finally come out of this hyper-extended growth spurt she's been on, but she's not really into napping at all.  She was super tired this afternoon after church, but just refused to go to sleep.  It makes for a long afternoon and evening with a cranky wee girl. 

*****
A couple of cute Ginny moments today... First, while we were at church, she and I were hanging out in the nursery/playroom while my Beloved was teaching his adult sunday school class.  I was sitting in one of the arm chairs, and for the first time ever, she crawled right up in my lap.  She never does that!  She was adamant that she had to sit with me almost the whole time.  She kept getting down to get a toy or a book, but then she would just come right back to me, and crawl up. 

And, tonight after her dinner, while my Beloved and I were still pigging out on ribs, she was having her milk and some chocolate goldfish crackers.  She started trying to dunk her goldfish into her milk, but sadly her sippy cup didn't really make that possible.  I'm not sure where she got the idea... (there may or may not have been some oreos in the house a couple of weeks ago, and I may or may not have allowed myself to have a couple with some milk, but that was a while ago, and I'm not admitting anything).  It just goes to show that little ones really do watch everything we do.

*****
Oh, and I promised the obligatory pregnancy pic... here you go!
Feeling Enormous!

*****
What was the highlight of your weekend?

4 comments :

  1. I love your little nursery. We had a very small space and everything was in the double closet as we didn't have room for furniture other than a crib.

    You're so close! I know you're tired, but you look good. :) Halfling will be here very soon!

    My weekend was highlighted by us finally getting out of the city and exploring a nearby town… with sunshine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The nursery and the blankie are really cute!!! And it's not nice to tease us with good recipes we can't have. ;) We're teething here too and it's brutal! I feel for you, and I hope Ginny *miraculously* finishes teething before the baby gets here.I mean, you need *some* sleep, right??? And you look so cute! Seriously, love the baby belly! Love rubbing it and knowing that it's full of BABY!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwwwww...LOVE all the pictures! The nursery looks great...and so do you. SO excited for you right now, friend. Take it easy for a while today. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look great! The nursery is so super cute. Only a few days away. How exiting!!

    ReplyDelete

Hobbits are social creatures, and love hearing from friends old and new. Pull up a comfy chair and let's get to know one another.