Thursday, August 2, 2012

Hobbit-ish Potpurri:

Good Morning Humble Readers...

I hope that you're all well and enjoying a relaxing morning wherever you are.  Things here in the hobbit-hole are pretty mellow, with both wee-lings napping and Olympic gymnastics are on the tv (Go Dominique Pegg!!).  It's a cool, rainy day in the Shire (why did I not start calling our flatland that long ago??), and it feels more like autumn than the first week of August, but it's a nice respite from the heat and thunderstorms.  And tornado warnings. 

*****
I know that in many areas south of the border, kids go back to school in the middle of August, but the back to school ads that start in July are just a bit depressing.  It's not that I'm a huge fan of summer, but we've still got six or seven weeks of good weather left, and I'm not ready for it to be fall already. 

The back to school ads also mean that I will be facing immense temptation every time I go into Wa.lm.art and the other big box stores.  Tom Hanks had it right in "You've Got Mail", with his 'bouquets of freshly sharpened pencils'... brand new school supplies just make me happy. 

*****
Mommy-Fail: How sad should I be that one of Ginny's first two-word combos was 'french fries'?  It's not like she gets them often (maybe once every couple of weeks), but talk about sad.  And like I mentioned in her monthly recap post the other day, her vocabulary is increasing every day... including one of the four-letter variety.  Yes, my wee sweet girl heard Mummy say "sh!t" the other day, and of course she repeated it.  *sigh*  Thankfully, she doesn't understand what it means and we didn't react, so it hasn't become a regular part of her speech.

*****
This Sunday is a big day for our wee little mister.  Pippin's baptism is this Sunday (and if you're in the vicinity of the Shire at 10:30 on Sunday morning, you're welcome to join us!) and a significant portion of my family is coming.  Outside of the ongoing awkwardness with my parents, the fact that they will be here is interesting, as we have differing theological views on baptism.  I'm thankful that they will be here to share in this important day though, and now I'm just kind of panicking about what to serve for lunch after the service.

*****
All week I have been drinking apple-cinnamon (2L of water with a sliced apple and a cinnamon stick steeped in it overnight) water as a sort of cleanse, and I'm loving it.  Not only have I lost a few pounds of water weight that were lingering after a vacation involving too much alcohol, but I'm really noticing a difference in my skin too.  Apparently cinnamon is good for balancing blood sugars too, which can't hurt.

*****
Have I told you all recently how much I hate my hair?  I know I'm in the prime time for awful post-pregnancy hair, but really it's just awful.  I had plans to grow out my bangs, but they're driving me nuts.  I have some brilliantly shiny greys that scream at me every time I look in the mirror.  I'm not ready to cut my hair significantly shorter (see pic in Tuesday's post), but I'm just sick of it.  It's dry and dull, and just plain icky. 

*****
I'm loving watching the Olympics, but there is one element of the whole event that I can't stand.  It's the Canadian olympic 'song'.  The melody of it is used ad nauseum by CTV, the Canadian network that broadcasts the event.

"I Believe" was written for the Vancouver games in 2010, and it drove me nuts then, but the fact that it's back and as omnipresent as ever is just driving me nuts.  It's so saccharine and cheesy.  And it gets in my head and stays there all day.  Ugh.

*****
I have finally joined the 21st century and signed up for a Twitter account.  I have yet to actually send a tweet out into the ether, but I'm following a few people including my favourite celebrity chefs.  If you want to follow me (if I ever actually tweet something) I would love it... @missusgamgee

3 comments :

  1. School is starting here soon, but thankfully my little guy has an extra 2 weeks off before they start kindergarten. Back to school sales are making me very sad this year!

    I don't know what twitter is or what to do with it or whatever. So you are way ahead of me! ;)

    I hope the baptism goes well and that your family behaves. My SIL recently made this recipe for a similar event. They smelled awesome and everyone else loved them... and I drooled over them for a while, but stayed strong. LOL. http://www.the-girl-who-ate-everything.com/2010/04/ham-and-cheese-sliders.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, saying the 4-letter-words... I've always been a bit confused. I mean, sure, we don't want little kids going around using profanity... but at what age is it ok for them to start using it? I have no idea...

    Yay, so exciting for the baptism!!! I can't wait to see pictures. I am also really curious about the theological differences you and your family have. What churches do you guys go to? It will be interesting when our baby is baptized with our varied friends and family... Anyway, sorry, theology nerd!

    Apple cinnamon water hu? It certainly sounds tasty, think there would be any concerns of doing that while pregnant? What if I don't have a cinnamon stick, just powdered cinnamon?

    On the hair front, sometimes just getting a trim does wonders, clearing out the split ends and uneven bits! So you can still grow out your hair, without hating it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That apple cinnamon water sounds interesting. Congrats and good luck on the baptism! Don't feel bad about the french fries, she just really liked them I guess ;)

    ReplyDelete

Hobbits are social creatures, and love hearing from friends old and new. Pull up a comfy chair and let's get to know one another.