Sunday, January 6, 2013

Sunday Night Chit Chat

Good Evening Humble Readers!
Master Pip dozed off early tonight
(and then was  bear when I tried to put him down for the night)
I hope you've all had a pleasant weekend.  Ours was fairly quiet.  I am happy to say that I was able to carve out a couple of hours for reading just for me.  Yesterday I got to have two glorious hours when everyone else was napping or having a rest to lose myself in a good book.  But more on that later.

I'm not sure how many of you follow hockey, but it's been a rollercoaster weekend for those of us north of the 49th parallel.  Our junior men's national team skated out of the IIHF tournament without a medal for the first time in 15 years.  But then this morning we woke to the news that the NHL and NHLPA have reached a tentative agreement in their contract dispute that has dragged on and on.  Now, I will confess that I'm not a huge fan of NHL hockey.  There are too many teams, and the season is just too long.  But all the same, I'm glad that the lockout appears to be over.  The only people being hurt in it were the fans. 

Anyway, on to the chit chat!

What am I...

Reading - A fabulous book!  Secret Keeper by Kate Morton.  I'm about halfway through it.  I love her way of interweaving of past and present in this and all her other titles.  In this one, the main character is a sixty-something actress who is trying to discover the secrets in her mother's past.  Set in England, alternating between present day and WWII (in particular London during the blitz).  And the description she uses for Laurel makes her sound, to me, like a dead ringer for Maggie Smith, with her lined face and history of playing critically acclaimed supporting roles.  If you like British drama, both present and past, with a touch of mystery, I strongly recommend anything by Kate Morton.

Watching - DOWNTON ABBEY!!!!  I am so excited!  Yes, I'm just a big old nerd. 

Listening to - My Beloved bang around in the kitchen as he does the dinner dishes. 

Baking/Cooking - Tonight was a greek-inspired pork roast with mashed taters, mixed vegetables, and yorkies.  Was very yummy! 

Happy you accomplished this week - Ummmm... not a whole lot. I'm rather behind on my to dos from last week. 

Looking forward to next week - Working up my nerve to start working on potty training again with Miss Ginevra.  I know it shouldn't be this daunting, and yet it is. 

What is the minimum # you feel comfortable with sitting in your bank account/piggy bank? - This of course would presume that we have savings, which we honestly don't.  I would love it if we could get to a point where we had a couple of thousand in the bank. 

*****
This was posted as a part of Carla's Sunday Night Chit Chat.  Pop over and check out what others are chatting about tonight.

5 comments :

  1. He looks quite comfy doesn't he!? haha!! Love the shot! Dinner sounds wonderful! YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, Downton! I just finished watching it. Looks like it is going to be an interesting season!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished watching the Season 3 opener...and I was really disappointed. It was all doom and gloom...none of the brightness I was expecting. We've been waiting for 2 years for M & M's wedding and we only got to see a few moments of it? Sigh...

    Looks like Pip is very comfy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love hockey, but my hubby can't stand it (which I guess is fair since I detest football)... so I very rarely get to watch it anymore. *sigh* But I'm glad the lockout ended as well. I need to live by you so I can come over and eat your food!!! Mmmmm. And I'm with you on the savings thing. I saw a "plan" for it the other day where for 52 days you put money into savings ($1 on day 1, $2 on day 2, etc) by by $52 on day $52, you have almost $2k in the bank. It sounds really good for the first week, and after that.... are you kidding me? If I could afford to put a couple hundred per week away into savings, I'd have already been doing it. LOL. Just the last week alone (days 46-52) you're supposed to have over $300 into savings just that week. Yeah, not exactly possible around here. But maybe I could stick with the first few weeks and just keep repeating them, and never touch the savings.... I'd get to $2 in a few years. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute picture! It's nice when they snooze but not when it's the wrong time that throws everything off. That's happened a ton around here!! Saving money is hard, we are finding that now that I'm on mat leave. And won't be too much better when I go back to work since I'm only going back .3. What do you do? The best you can I guess. I did an update of what's on my nightstand! Bringing it back! ;) ps. CB bought Downton Abby for me and I just watched the first episode!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Hobbits are social creatures, and love hearing from friends old and new. Pull up a comfy chair and let's get to know one another.