Thursday, April 11, 2013

Why? Oh Why?

Oh Humble Readers....

I come to you asking why?

I lived 38 years of my life in ignorance.  I lived 38 years of my life in bliss. 

All my life, I have been mocked, ridiculed, and dismissed as an aberration.  My family didn't understand me, my friends thought I was nuts. 

My confession? 

I have never liked bacon. 

Not with eggs, not on a burger, and certainly not a club sandwich.  Not on a baked potato or on a Caesar salad.  The smell, the grease, and the mess of cooking it... *shudder*.  I thought the current 'bacon flavoured' everything craze was just wrong.  I mean, why ruin perfectly good chocolate or ice cream with bacon?  How revolting...

And I was proud to be able to tell my doctor that bacon was never a part of my diet.  I never had to worry about putting it on a list of foods I shouldn't eat because I never would consider eating it. 

Until recently. 

I don't know what happened.  Over the last few years I would occasionally make a recipe that required bacon (like my german potato salad) and I would suck it up and cook a few slices, gagging all the while.  I would crumble them really small so that I couldn't really notice it in my food.

Slowly, almost imperceptibly it grew on me. 

I learned about cooking bacon in the oven.  And that solved the problem with the mess.  I started to nibble on the crumbles I would use in recipes.  Bacon in a recipe no longer made it unpalatable to me.  After a while the crumbles became bits, and the bits became chunks. 

Humble Readers, I admit it.

I love bacon

It must be crispy.  And it most certainly must not be greasy.  I love the salty, smoky goodness.  I love the crunch.  I even had bacon on a breakfast sandwich earlier this week.  And I'm considering buying a package of the evil stuff when I go grocery shopping tomorrow. 

Oh how the mighty have fallen...

Somebody save me.  Please!

3 comments :

  1. I gasped out loud when I read your confession, lol. I think I remember you mentioning this before-it may have been long ago. Am I wrong? Anyway.

    Welcome to the bacon side!! (insert evil laugh)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you. I don't get the whole
    Bacon craze either? I mean I like it, but I don't love love it, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the dark side. ;)

    My husband isn't a fan of bacon, but I've been working on him. Maybe he'll come around like you have.

    ReplyDelete

Hobbits are social creatures, and love hearing from friends old and new. Pull up a comfy chair and let's get to know one another.