Saturday, September 21, 2013

September ICLW: Hobbit-ish Randomness

Hey Humble Readers & ICLW Visitors...

I hope you all have some fun stuff planned for your weekend.  Ours is going to be pretty laid back, with only a few errands on the to do list. 

I wanted to come up with some nifty little intro for ICLW, but I'm drawing a blank, so instead I'm just going to share some random tidbits about me and my family.  If I can manage to come with something that I haven't shared in the last five years. 
  1. I am a potato-aholic.  And I'm particular about which kind of potatoes I use for different recipes.  Russets for baking and for oven fries, red potatoes for soups and stews, baby potatoes for roasting, and Yukon Gold for day to day boiling and mashing.  It's a terrible thing given the Big D, but I seem to be making it work.  (Five months in and I'm still using a measuring cup to portion my starches.  I just don't trust myself.)
  2. You all, I'm sure, are aware of my love of books, and I've mentioned previously that I cannot be trusted alone in any office supply store (school supplies are intoxicating), but did you know that I love typewriters?  My favourite toy when I was a kid was my red and white typewriter.  I long to start a collection of antique typewriters... they just so rarely show up for reasonable prices around here.  And where in the world would I put them in the hobbit-hole?
  3. I have appalling handwriting, unless I'm writing with a fountain pen.  Something about using a fountain pen just makes my handwriting look awesome. 
  4. I have blue eyes, and so does Pip.  My Beloved has beautiful brown eyes, and Ginny has the most amazing shade-shifting hazel eyes.  One moment they are blue-green, others they are grey, and even the occasional golden hues. 
  5. My favourite flowers are tulips and peonies.  I also like lavender, lilacs, and wisteria.  I don't like dahlias. 
  6. I have rather strong toes.  When I was a child, I was known to rip up board game boxes and books (without realizing I was doing so) while laying on the floor playing a game.  I can grip a pen in my toes, but don't have the coordination to write. 
  7. Ginny has many words of her own creation including, but not limited to, glansents (blankets), frinkles (freckles) and patos (interchangeably potatoes and tomatoes). 
  8. Pippin, when he gets excited (like when my Beloved gets home from work), does this crazy thing where he throws himself backward.  It can get dangerous depending on where he's hanging out at the time. 
  9. I can't do spin-y rides, or those ones where you are in a seat that moves to go along with the movies shown on the screen... I will hurl.  I promise.  I love roller coasters though. 
Ok, so that's all I can think of right now.  What's something totally and completely random about you?

5 comments :

  1. Happy ICLW!

    Im particular about my potatos too! Something totally random- I have to check (repeatedly) that I have locked the car door, house door, unplugged the blow dryer, hair straightner.. you name it Im a bit obsessive over it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried subbing cauliflower for potatoes? On my Pinterest board there are a couple recipes, including one for a loaded "baked potato" soup made of cauliflower that is actually really good!

    Random Thing about me: When I was born I had a condition called Pyloric Stenosis which caused me to projectile vomit all over my newbie parents. I had surgery when I was like 3 months old and now I have a 5" scar on my belly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi from ICLW!

    I love potatoes (especially since I can't eat gluten) and they are my main staple for most meals! I have loved them for as long as I can remember and have been known to add them to almost every meal in some pretty creative ways!

    Umm...something random about me? I can sniff my lip up and plug my nose. Yep. That's true. Embarassing, weird, and a little freaky but 100% true! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy ICLW to you! I love reading random facts about people. It's always interesting to see what I have in common with them, or not.

    I like potatoes, but I don't really understand or care about the differences. Except for new potatoes are just amazing during the summer! And I love french fries.
    My favorite flowers are hibiscuses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi from ICLW! I really like reading random facts too! I'm immediately intrigued when I read this kind of thing! Random fact about me....I have two different colored eyes, one brown and one green. It's called heterochromia iridium. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete

Hobbits are social creatures, and love hearing from friends old and new. Pull up a comfy chair and let's get to know one another.