Monday, August 17, 2015

#MicroblogMondays: Creative Help?

Hey Humble Readers...

I'm looking for some input from you all today. 

I'm working on a creative piece set in the late 1970s/early 80s.  To help with my focus and get further into my characters' heads, I'm putting together a playlist to listen to while I'm writing.  I have a few tracks already, like a few Elvis songs for one of my main characters, and I can't help but include Elvira by the Oak Ridge Boys (it was my favourite song when I was 6 or 7 years old).

But I'm stuck for music for a middle-aged mom.  She's an ultra-conservative, type-A, very rigid person.  I think she likes more country music than pop, certainly not disco or 70s rock. 

What do you think she might listen to? 

*****
This was posted as a part of Mel's #MicroblogMondays.  Click on over to see what others are blogging about today. 

12 comments :

  1. Late 70s early 80s? My era - so I just listed a whole lot, then noticed that you said she probably likes country music. Oops. Delete! Country music was not big in NZ in the 70s/80s ... actually, it still isn't. Sorry, can't help there!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I thought that might cause a little stumble. I kind of think she might like Patsy Cline, but with another character already identifying with older/out of date music (Elvis) I didn't want to push that too much. I'm probably putting too much thought into this.

      Delete
  2. The classics like The Carpenters, John Denver, Captain and Tennille, Bread, Billy Joel, Barry Manilow, some Frank Sinatra, Tony Orlando.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo... the Carpenters and John Denver. I like that. That totally suits her. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Anne Murray? The Carpenters? Kenny Rogers, George Jones, Dolly Parton.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did I forget Anne Murray??? She's perfect! Thanks

      Delete
  4. Johnny Cash? Was he too early? Can you tell how little I know about country music? June Carter Cash?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Johnny will work more for her husband (the Elvis fan), and I may need to listen to some of June's solo stuff. Hmmmm....

      Delete
  5. I listened to "Swingin" during this time period: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07_rnlBezQg (that's not the original version but it's close).

    How about Islands in the Stream? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQW7I62TNOw


    ReplyDelete
  6. When I first read this I thought it meant you were restoring a piece of furniture from the 70s or 80s. Lol! I clearly need more sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Late to this, but what abour Dolly Parton? Definitely country and I think she had some big hits in the late 70's/early 80's along with singing quite a bit of gospel at different times in her career.

    ReplyDelete

Hobbits are social creatures, and love hearing from friends old and new. Pull up a comfy chair and let's get to know one another.